Friday, November 27, 2009

Day 45 - 27 November 2009

Oncologist phoned yesterday. My first chemo is booked for Friday 18 December 2009 at 09h30. I have to go for half an hour of counseling before I start. My word ... that sounds like there is going to be emotional hectic-ness attached ... Counseling!! I suppose they need to tell me what they are going to do, what to expect during and after.

I remember the first time I went to see the oncologist, I got a whole file of information - mainly to do with payments - but on top of everything, in the most prominent place of the folder was a social worker's business card. I said "what do I need this for?" Apparently we all have a social worker dedicated to us 24 hours a day in case we need to have a talk ... or cry, I suppose. I'm not sure what I am not getting here, but it does sound more hectic than what I need. Let's see ... they after-all know what they are talking about.

The only problem with me wanting to change my date later is that I have to go to another oncologist. My doctor will be on holiday from the 13th. I don't mind though. They have about 4 oncologists who all work as a team and at some stage during my treatment I would probably get to experience all of them.

We wanted to check how much this chemo is going to cost to make sure that we are covered with medical aid as we only have R200k cover per year. If we go up to the next level on medical aid (an extra R2500 per month), it would be unlimited. Thankfully, without any complications, we are just covered. It looks like the whole deal is going to cost the medical aid R191k ... expensive disease hey!! What happens to those who are not on medical aid? I know they would have to go the government hospital route, but does it mean they have to wait? Waiting is bad for this type of disease ... any disease I guess. Does the government pay as much per patient? You gotta wonder why cancer is so expensive. I do know it must be expensive for any medical research (which is where most of the money supposedly goes) but this must also be the case with other illnesses that need research. Being one of the privileged, it almost feels like I have no right to ask questions!! But as we all know, that's just not me!!

Anyhooo ... with all this fighting and bargaining going on in my head these last few days, I have come to the realization that when I sense my own powerlessness at trying to control my diseases, my soul responds and gives me strength and a greater appreciation of each day. I even showered yesterday!! (.)(.)

2 comments:

  1. No doubt there will be some emotionally hectic moments, but I think you're better prepared for it than most people. I suppose the social workers are there to support people who have no idea what's coming their way. You have a string of 'social workers' to your disposal, including me, so call any time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here is another Social Worker just for you :) Interesting that you get assigned one - I dont think they do that here - could be wrong. Anyway whilst you are trying to keep your head above water remember to also keep swimming xxx

    ReplyDelete