Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 38 - 20 November 2009

We certainly got a nice surprise from our friend Gail yesterday. Last night was our planned "night out". After trying to figure out what we should do, Hil and I ended up with only a dinner date to look forward to with a walk around Exclusive Books at the Waterfront. We wanted to avoid going to movies as this is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire with all the home nights of TV we have had. If the truth be told, we both probably wanted to just get away to Grand West or Sun City for a bit of escapism, but we all know how safe that is for me - I would probably end up being like a mine worker not knowing when to stop when he gets a chance to spend his pay cheque. But instead, we got a nice surprise of tickets booked for a comedy show at The Theatre at the Bay. And it was so so funny. Good medicine for a couple of sad sacks. An hour and a half went by so fast that it felt like 30 minutes.

Being a beautiful summer evening, we had a scrumptious dinner on the Camps Bay Boulevard watching the sun go down. After the show, we went back to the same restaurant to have our coffee and dessert. Camps Bay used to be our play ground when we first arrived in Cape Town - 19 years ago. You know, it's the place to be seen (when you have a hot bod). I'm not sure if it is this menopause thing getting to me, but I couldn't help seeing all the trendy's of today strutting up and down and thinking - "when we played here, they were not even Jordan's age!!"

I also noticed at the show that plays and cabarets tend to draw a much older audience. When I mentioned this observation to Hil, her answer was very soothing. She said "well you should feel at home now, being menopausal!". Very funny!!

Yesterday was the last doctor visit until 15 December. Just a check up with my plastic surgeon who is still very happy with my boobs. She was just worried that I hadn't started massaging them and making them a part of me already. Hmmm!! I suppose I have been treating them as though they were a bit alien - but I have never really been into that kind of thing - "massaging my own breasts". But for the sake of healing, I will follow doctors orders. I think she was a little disappointed to see how sad I was yesterday, after being her "Ms Positivity case study". I think the thing getting me though is exactly how Hil described "it's like taking a headache pill just in case I get a headache". Especially as I feel so healthy right now. I have never been the hypochondriac type and with my special "doctor-avoidance" skills, I probably only saw a doctor once a year in the most extreme cases. So these weekly doctors visits in the last month have taken its toll.

My bosom buddy could completely relate to how I was feeling yesterday. She said that she also felt like it was watching a terribly sad movie, except it is a movie of your own life. She also said "I am of the opinion that emotions are good for the soul, it cleanses you and then after a good cry, you are ready to go again". Not such a bad description for a French chick who thinks her English is bad :-)

Today is going to be spent in the sun at Jordan's sports day. I may as well make the most of it as the oncologist has told me that once I start chemo, I have to take it easy in the sun because the skin becomes very sensitive. Also, we have so much crap happening at the school. Adults behaving badly - much like the show we saw last night. So I also want to have fun watching this drama unfold. You wouldn't believe it was a Christian School!! (.)(.)

No comments:

Post a Comment