Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The show must go on

The holiday season is officially over. We are reminded of this as the unrelenting alarm clock goes off. Jordan's first day of Grade 4. He is very excited. Lying in bed everything seems to have settled in terms of nausea. This soon becomes an illusion as I start getting Jordan's breakfast ready and burning my fingers in the interim.

Fingers burning, tummy turning, I am reminded of the prose poem written by my rock star whilst feeling energy-less in the shower. The section of the poem that went through my head at the time was:

I want to know
if you can sit with pain
mine or your own
without moving to hide it
or fade it
or fix it.

I want to know if you can see Beauty
even when it is not pretty
every day.
And if you can source your own life
from its presence.

It doesn't interest me
to know where you live
or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up
after the night of grief and despair
weary and bruised to the bone
and do what needs to be done
to feed the children.

Oriah Mountain Dreamer

The relief does not come from the fact that I actually did Jordan's breakfast this morning, but from the fact that I can rely on God's faithfulness to get me through the tough ones with little reminders like this.

School assembly was great. I always love seeing the Grade 1 parents dropping their little ones off for the first time. I don't know who is more anxious - kids or parents. School was followed by a breakfast out and doing a nicety for a friend in need. Now I am wacked - but happy.

It is way too hot (38 in the shade) to sleep. With burnt fingers, I can't be writing any cheques today either. The gardener is here, so can't be doing any skinny-dipping. My outgoing email is also needing some attention, that is too much effort for me right now - someone spam-copped me ... dam!! But I am still happy.

I think I am going to take my happiness to some shady spot in the garden and try and read my book (.)(.)

No comments:

Post a Comment