Monday, January 4, 2010

Widow's Peak

I definitely did things the right way with regards to having the No. 2 haircut. The 01st and 02nd January only saw slight evidence of hair loss. A few hairs here and there. Hairs on my book when I am reading, in Jordan's mouth when we were playing (one must have flown in when he was laughing uncontrollably with "torture tickle"). Only from yesterday (03rd) is there more evidence where I come away with a handful of hair any time something touches my head, which I am trying to avoid as much as possible. I also find myself looking at the handful for a long time in disbelief. This would have felt more traumatic, I imagine, if I had long flowing hair.

Although a few people have noticed the difference from day to day with the thinning of my hair and the prominent "widow's peak" look, I must have a lot of thick hair as I still have a head full of hair to lose. As short as my hair is, I still have enough to do the forward Donald Trump thing over my widows to make it look like I have a double cow's lick.

My roots are extremely sensitive and tender to the touch. The discomfort feels like going against the grain of my hair growth and a slight burning effect. Styling comes in the form of patting the top of my head as though I have to fix my toupee. Because of the tenderness and the "okay" look, I have decided to hold off with the shave until absolutely necessary.

The weirdest thing is that in the early hours of the morning when my head touches the pillow and wakes me from a dead sleep because of the slight discomfort and pain, I bolt out of bed in a panic thinking I have bald patches all over the place - but during the day, I am calm and expecting the inevitable. It feels like a terrible nightmare when I wake up with a fright. It takes a while to calm myself in those quiet moments because it ain't no nightmare ... IT IS going to happen.

It is not a pleasant experience and I didn't think it would affect me as much as it is. I think once it is all gone I might get over it, but the losing process is kak. As kak as it is, I still don't want to shower, brush or do anything that speeds up the process. I don't know why I am hanging on, I think it is more because of the tenderness and the thought that the electric shaver would be quite sore. I can't imagine how awful it must feel for a man who loses his hair permanently. As for me, I wish I could take comfort that it is just a temporary thing. I am also trying to make myself visualize that for every hair I lose means a cancer cell is dying.

Apart from New Years Eve, I have not felt any excessive fatigue. Most days I have my regular arvie nap, but this doesn't feel like a major need or abnormal. The worst of everything is still the battle with my right arm feeling bruised, and being unable to straighten. I am a little pissed off that I was not prepared or told about this in more detail from the doctors. I have had to learn by myself that it is a thing called lymphedema that could be irreversible if not treated properly. I still have to find out how to treat it though.

One good thing is that I am soon off to my weekly massage with Frank, this always helps the arm for a couple of days (.)(.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh well, hair or no hair, we still love you the same. Just remember that.

    ReplyDelete