Wednesday, January 6, 2010

All Britney Speared

What started as a traumatic day for me, ended as one of the most enjoyable days, thanks to very special friends. I think I was all cried out by the time I got to Ian and Wendy's. They made the shave-athon experience very special for me. They had prepared their children as to what daddy was going to be doing ... and why. The children were incredibly sensitive (including my Jordan) and 9 year old Stanley even said when I left that I looked like a "sexy pirate girl" with my bandanna and sunglasses. Sweet man - it did put a smile on my and Jordan's face.

Ian even purchased a new shaver especially. What a thoughtful, kind thing to do. Thankfully, he is a shaver himself, so it won't get wasted, but it did feel special to be the one to break it in. He was incredibly gentle and it didn't hurt a bit. He even sung me his old English barber songs that he remembered way back in his school-play days. I wonder if I told him to not change his day job??? :-)

An outdoor breakfast by the pool and a swim in this incredible heat (37 in the shade) finished the morning. Afternoon was taken up with a snooze. I was totally exhausted with all the crying and anticipation, I guess. Late afternoon we went to other friends for a braai, tennis and swim evening. They live on a farm with the most incredible view of Table Mountain. With a spectacular sunset, good food, no wind, lots of laughs and great company, it turned the rest of the day, which could have been more traumatic, into a special day for me.

I do catch a fright when I look in the mirror, but I will get used to it, I am sure. It is rather cool in this heat and underneath all that hair, who would have thought I would find a beauty spot on the side of my head. Luckily I have no scars, dents or rolls at the back of my neck.

Tit inspection has taken a back seat, it is now head inspection every 5 minutes. This body of mine sure has taken a lot this year, it's a no wonder I am wanting my primary goal for 2010 to be one of nurturing and kindness to myself.

Hil made me see yesterday what all my crying was about. Because I have not felt or looked sick up to now, despite all the battering my body has been through, being bald almost feels like I now wear the passport for all to see that I am sick. I mean let's be honest. Although I am modern and hip (hehehe - in my dreams) I am not the type of person that takes this modernity to the extreme by going bald. It is the trend in some circles - just check out All Access on TV. So if you are not in that circle, there could only be one other reason for a chick to be bald ... CANCER passport. I do dig to be the stand up comedy and centre of attention at parties and all, but I do not like to be the sore thumb sticking out, announcing my disease.

Maybe I should go hip shopping to suit my new head - you know, begin the self-nurture goal. GI Jane sure doesn't look cool wearing crimpolene pants and cardigans. Yep, I am going to make this work for me (.)(.)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent news to hear it went so well. So, when do we get to see some photo's of your new pirate head?

    ReplyDelete