Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 49 - 01 December 2009

Only 2 weeks of school left and I think we are going to get away with Jordan's long hair. We try and hide it as much as possible under his cap, but it is getting really long at the back now. I am sure that long hair is the least of the school's problems with all the crap going down.

We always stay for school assembly on a Friday as this is the day they make it special and give out awards to the kids. Jordan normally gets arbitrary awards like neat handwriting, but I just know one day he is also going to be getting an award like the other kids of "improved behavior". This year's teacher has been really schnoop with awards though. That was the main thing I liked about this school, they award good attributes instead of focusing on bad behavior and detention. It kinda instills the concept of celebrating success instead of fearing failure. The kids feel so proud when they stand up in front of the whole school with their certificates, and when Jordan is up there he pretends he doesn't see me giving him the major thumbs up with the "whoo hoo" to go with it, but I know he notices as I can see the smirk he is trying to hide on his face, and the back and forth glances.

Assembly is also the day that I get to exercise my vocal chords by doing my opera warble rendition of Nkosi Sikelel'i. Hil's favorite is the Lord's Prayer. You know how middle-aged, gay, Jewish, English-speaking woman just love to sing the Lord's Prayer at a Christian school ... in Afrikaans. I am singing even louder these days after being told by my friend Wendy that I sing beautifully ... much to everyone's delight, it offered a good ol' fashioned reason for a raucous laugh. Even I know I ain't no poop idol, and singing is definitely not one of the illusional fantasies I have been living in.

The warm feeling about last Friday's assembly was that our headmaster, who is going through so much undeserved pressure right now, made a bee-line for me at the end to tell me that I offered him inspiration and strength for the day by just being there. How nice is that!! I do somehow feel that people think I am sicker than I actually am though.

We have a busy couple of days ahead of us ... birthday shopping, christmas shopping, ABBA concert, birthday parties, carols by candlelight, night markets, school prize giving, girls poker night, camping, the journey ... oh and a kidney test and a tittie check-up with PS ... fun, fun, fun (.)(.)

1 comment: