Friday, October 30, 2009

Day 17 - 30 October 2009

It has just occurred to me that not only am I going to lose my hair on my head, but also my legs, arms, underarms and ... the nether region. I can't say I am unhappy about this - it sure does help with the summer waxing schlep. I'm also going to save a few bob on shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, lacker :-), bobby-hairclips, alice-bands, scrunchies, curlers, hair nets, shower caps, tongs, hairdressers, beauticians, razors, wax ... not to mention the break I will have from the daily plucking routine.

My hairdressing sister Colleen also tells me that she has clients going through chemo, and noticed that their skin looks amazing. As weird as it sounds, there is also a demand for "wig-styling" - but I am sure that only happens in Australia!! A real bugger if you stuff that one up hey Col - lol. My bosom buddy confirmed that the skin thing is true. She has been asked by many what products she is using to have such great skin ... "um, well ... chemo works wonders!" I may even lose a bit of weight too with all the purging. So out of the shit blossoms a flower. I'm going to be one regular chick-magnet after this lot. It's just the "during" I have to get through.

Yesterday, I went for my last haircut (in a while). I'm going to miss that shampooist and the lovely head massages she gives - I nearly fell asleep. The next will be the big shave - but I am sure Hil can do that ... or maybe not actually. Scars together with dents and overlaps ... I don't think so. As I was sitting at the hairdressers, I thought to myself that this was supposed to be the appointment where I do highlights - I felt like doing the slight blonde-streaked-look for summer (to hide a few grey hairs that are rebelliously popping up). So another savings, I guess!!

Well I have been feeling a little cabin-fevered this week. The main "Family outing" being my doctors visits on Monday. Oh no, I am wrong - we had a girls poker night on Tuesday. I think we laugh, eat, skinner and joke more than play cards though. But that feels like it was ages ago already. So am off to my last (for a while) Writer's Circle meeting at the lovely Marlisa's house. I can't wait to catch up on the scoop that side of the mountain. One gets tired of talking and thinking cancer!!

I believe this is one of the worst parts of chemo. Too sick to sleep, too sick to do anything else other than think. I am going to do everything in my power to remain diligent before, during and after chemo. I need to learn all the ways to keep my blood count at its best and my immune system up, to alleviate the nausea. I even have all the reading material I need for hospital. This might even be the motivator I've been looking for to give up smoking. I did try on my 1 year milestone of sobriety to give up ... but it lasted a mere 3 hours. I don't think my life is in any danger with the type of cancer I have, but I certainly don't want any form of relapse. I'm sure cancer is a bit like SARS, you have to do everything you can to keep them away from your front door once you are in the clear.

On that note, best I go and pour myself a glass of Mangosteen Fruit Juice (full of anti-oxidants) for breakfast, the pancakes and syrup will have to wait. (.)(.)

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I do envy the fact that you won't have to shave for a while.

    ReplyDelete