Tuesday, June 8, 2010

All done !!!

Finally finished my last radiation treatment yesterday at my home base Panaroma. The radiographers were very happy with the koek I took them to celebrate my release. I also impressed my oncologist by writing her a thank you message in AFRIKAANS. I did admit at the end of the card though that she should not be too impressed as I used Google Translate.

As I left she teased me by saying "I hope the withdrawals aren't too bad". "Huh!!! What withdrawals" thinking radiation side-effects. She laughed and said "from me and my girls". It is the second time she has teased me about this now, only because I was worried about something that the Rondebosch girls were doing and insisted on an appointment mentioning I was having separation anxiety. I don't think I am going to hear the end of it!!

My boob is looking much better - not so black and sensitive. The whole nipple skin peeled off and is looking rather anemic. The dam thing keeps pointing too - only the one boob mind you, which looks rather strange. When I mentioned it to my oncologist she said I should enjoy it ... hmmmm !!

So now I start on the hormone tablets for 5 years. After a break of some 3 months from my periods, it started up again on Friday. I need to go through menopause now with these tablets, IN THE NEXT 2 MONTHS, because if I don't then it is injections in my stomach for 3 years. Hysterectomy must wait until after this 2 month period.

My hair is so curly at the back ... I mean really really curly. The front and sides are normal though. Not sure if I like it too much, it is a bit fly-away for me. My doc says that it is a good sign that the chemo did its job - as it changed the DNA of all my cells and that I am lucky as 90% of the patients go grey even if they were not before. It should go back to normal after about 5 cuts.

Still feeling quite fatigued and demotivated ... hopefully this will come right soon, but I will give it until the beginning of July before I take myself too seriously. World Cup fever has hit, we are going on holiday to Knysna for 2 weeks ... I am wanting to have a dancing party for my birthday to celebrate Life ... so too much playing still to do before I can think of being motivated. (.)(.)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completeing this part of your journey - a party to celebrate life sounds right.
    I have read your blog regularly and your life has touched mine.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete